Pratt Institute Power Plant
The Pratt Insititute Power Plant contains three direct current generators connected with three steam engines. The first power plant at Pratt was built in 1887, the oldest surviving generating units date to 1900. These units have been supplemented with other power sources during the 20th century they were still operational in the 1970's. They are among the oldest surviving steam powered generators in America. A plate on the generators indicates they are of the multi-polar type with a speed of 270 RPM. The voltage under no load is 112, under full load is 117. The generators are rated at 641 amps. The plate also indicates that the generators are based at least partially on patents dated Feb. 14, 1888, Oct. 14, 1889 and Nov. 14, 1893.